- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 4 cups water
- 1 to 2 bay leaves
- 1 to 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 cups cubed peeled pumpkin
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add meat, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil and butter. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the carrots, celery, water, bay leaves, bouillon, thyme and remaining pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Stir in pumpkin. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until meat and pumpkin are tender. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Pumpkin Stew in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p238
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Autumn Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review