- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 pounds small red potatoes (about 20)
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 2 medium pears, quartered
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Sprinkle beef with garlic salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown beef in batches. Remove with a slotted spoon; transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, combine wine, broth, garlic, sage, thyme and salt; pour over beef. Top with potatoes, carrots, onion, pears, walnuts and apricots. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender; skim fat.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Cook, covered, on high 20-30 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Autumn Slow-Cooked Beef Stew in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2015, p13
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Autumn Slow-Cooked Beef Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review