Autumn Sausage Corn Soup Recipe
I cook this frequently throughout the year, but my family especially loves it on cold nights. Cayenne pepper, sausage and ham lend to tis fabulous Cajun flavor. —Belinda Desselle, Westlake, Louisiana
- 3/4 pound fully cooked smoked sausage, sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- 1. In a large skillet, cook and stir sausage over medium-high heat until browned; drain well and set aside.
- 2. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook and stir the flour in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Add the onion, green pepper and green onions; saute until tender.
- 3. Stir in the water, corn, ham, tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, if desired, cayenne, hot pepper sauce and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Yield: 11 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 249 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 657mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Reviews for Autumn Sausage Corn Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC