Autumn Sausage Corn Soup Recipe
I cook this frequently throughout the year, but my family especially loves it on cold nights. Cayenne pepper, sausage and ham lend to tis fabulous Cajun flavor. —Belinda Desselle, Westlake, Louisiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. Cook: 1 hour YIELD:11 servings
- 3/4 pound fully cooked Johnsonville® Smoked Sausage, sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- 1. In a large skillet, cook and stir sausage over medium-high heat until browned; drain well and set aside.
- 2. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook and stir the flour in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Add the onion, green pepper and green onions; saute until tender.
- 3. Stir in the water, corn, ham, tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, if desired, cayenne, hot pepper sauce and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Yield: 11 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 249 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 657 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC