- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and sliced green onions
- Saute the onion and green and yellow peppers in oil in a large skillet until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Crumble turkey into skillet. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the pumpkin, tomatoes, chili powder, pepper and salt. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours. Serve with toppings of your choice. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Autumn Pumpkin Chili
"Very bland! Will make it again with some of the suggestion by other reviewers. I like the pumpkin flavor that is added, but it needs a lot more!"
"Added more salt."
"I've made this several times and it always turns out great with a few tweaks. I add cumin, red pepper flakes, and use a hot chili mix instead of chili powder. I really like mine extra spicy so I slit two habanero peppers and add to the chili and let it slow for hours. This receipi makes a good base for making chili."
"This is a very good Chili. I had to add a little bit of broth. It was too thick. Wonderful meal for the cold days here in the mountains."
"Made for work at the firehouse. Added kidney beans. Was a big hit! Pumpkin made it creamy and a little bit thicker. Not overpowering with the pumpkin flavor"
"Original recipe was very good but needed a little something to give it a "kick up" in flavor. First added the obvious...salt !! Then, instead of plain chili powder, I used Berbere Spice blend containing paprika, cardamom, ginger, coriander, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, fenugreek, cloves, onion, red pepper and garlic. It's warmth and fragrance added a whole new flavor layer that blended perfectly with the pumpkin. Will be on regular Fall and Winter rotation in our household!!"
"As others have said, this was very bland. After my own modifications, it is okay. I MIGHT make it again with even more tweaks.I ended up using half the meat and adding pinto beans (chili needs beans!). But someone else mentioned black beans and that sounds even better. Also added cumin, a tad nutmeg and took someone's suggestion of cinnamon. That was just what it needed. It's pretty good. But that's it.And am I crazy, or would pineapple be good in it? Hmmm maybe next time."
"I thought this chili was delicious. I added black beans though. It was so good."
"Brought this to a halloween pot luck and it disappeared!! It was wonderful. I did add some butternut squash cubes to the pot for color because I didn't have yellow peppers."
"Made as instructed, it was as others have said, "bland." It was as if it needed at least a teaspoon of salt to enhance the flavor. I've noticed that adding pumpkin to anything, may it be chili or pancakes, it needs either extra salt or sugar to bring out its flavor. With extra seasoning I enjoyed it but will continue trying other pumpkin chili recipes."