This rib-sticking porridge is made with oats and protein-rich quinoa. Added pumpkin, maple syrup, walnuts and dried cranberries make it a kid-friendly breakfast.—Jennifer Wickes, Pine Beach, New Jersey
Featured In: 20 Quinoa Recipes
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, oats, quinoa and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the pumpkin, pie spice and agave nectar. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until water is absorbed and grains are tender. Stir in cranberries and walnuts. Serve with milk if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Autumn Power Porridge in Country Woman August/September 2012, p46
Reviews for Autumn Power Porridge
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 21, 2016
"This was pretty good. Very good on a cold winter morning."
Reviewed Sep. 12, 2014
"My vegan friend loved it and asked for the recipe. I thought it was just ok."
Reviewed Sep. 15, 2012
"My husband, who hates oatmeal, LOVED this recipe."