Autumn Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (5 to 6 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 medium carrots, cut into thirds
- 1/2 pound small whole onions
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, saute garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add the roast; brown on all sides.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine vinegar, tomato juice, ketchup, sugar, salt and pepper; pour over roast. Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Add carrots and onions; cover and cook for 1 hour longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove to a serving platter and keep warm.
- 3. Skim fat from pan juices. Add water to juices to measure 3 cups. Mix flour and cold water until smooth; stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Slice roast; serve with vegetables and gravy. Yield: 14-16 servings.
5 ounce-weight: 234 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 401mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein.
Reviews for Autumn Pot Roast
"Great dish! Loved it. Family all enjoyed it for a Sunday dinner!"
"This is hands down, the best pot roast my husband and I have ever had. I've always thought pot roast was a man's meal and it's not something I really enjoy. This was FANTASTIC. I will never make another pot roast recipe in my life :)"
"My family loves this!"
"This is a fantastic recipe. We love it. I make it a least once every Fall and it always gets rave reviews. The savory sauce with a little bit of tang almost tastes like Sauerbraten, without having to marinate for three days! ....and the meat always comes out fork tender. As a matter of fact, I'm going to serve it with German potato dumplings this weekend. Thanks TOH!"
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.