Autumn Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (5 to 6 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 medium carrots, cut into thirds
- 1/2 pound small whole onions
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, saute garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add the roast; brown on all sides.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine vinegar, tomato juice, ketchup, sugar, salt and pepper; pour over roast. Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Add carrots and onions; cover and cook for 1 hour longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove to a serving platter and keep warm.
- 3. Skim fat from pan juices. Add water to juices to measure 3 cups. Mix flour and cold water until smooth; stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Slice roast; serve with vegetables and gravy. Yield: 14-16 servings.
1 serving (5 ounces) equals 234 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 401 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.