Autumn Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium parsnips, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into chunks
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 3/4 cup dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- Cut roast in half; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with sweet potatoes, parsnips, onion, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, thyme, bay leaves and remaining salt and pepper. Combine broth and wine; pour over vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Skim fat. Discard bay leaves. If desired, thicken cooking juices. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Autumn Pot Roast(10)
Sort By :
Good fall recipe. I thought that the sweet potatoes had a perfect texture, but found that my parsnips were slightly too firm. Will just cut into slightly smaller pieces next time. Used sun-dried tomato pesto because I could not find anything else.
This recipe is great!
I love this recipe !!!
It is easy to prepare, that is the good part. Totally lacking flavor, I added 1/2 cup Worchester sauce with about 1/2 an hour left to cook or it would have been almost tasteless. Parsnips were just right but the sweet potatoes turned to almost mush. Will not make this one again.
Nice traditional fall dish.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >