- and cloves in a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of
- cloth and tie with kitchen string to form a bag. Add to Dutch oven.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add
- pearl onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water;
- peel and set aside. Add sweet potatoes to Dutch oven. Cover and cook
- 15 minutes longer. Add carrots and onions; cover and cook 30-40
- minutes more or until meat reaches desired doneness (for
- medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium,
- 160°; well-done, 170°). Remove meat and vegetables; keep
- warm. Discard spice bag.
- Cool pan juices for 10 minutes; transfer to a blender. Cover and
- process until smooth; return to pan. Combine cornstarch and cold
- water until smooth. Gradually whisk into pan juices. Bring to a
- boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with
- meat and vegetables. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3 ounces cooked beef with 3/4 cup vegetables and 3 tablespoons gravy) equals 328 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 83 mg cholesterol, 235 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.