Autumn Pear Bread Recipe
This fruitful recipe will rise to any occasion, promises subscriber Mary Lynn Wilson of Linden, Texas. "We bake small loaves, cover them in colored plastic wrap and present them to friends and family for holidays all year long," she details. "The pears I use give the bread a delicious taste and help keep it nice and moist. Folks tell me it's a gift they always look forward to getting."—Mary Lynn Wilson, Linden, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely chopped peeled ripe pears
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; stir into the flour mixture just until moistened. Fold in pears.
- 2. Spoon into two greased 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 2 mini loaves (8 slices each).
1 slice equals 173 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 208 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC