I clipped this recipe out of the paper quite a few years ago, and it instantly became a family favorite. Tender pieces of tasty apple appear in every bite. - Helen Wiebe, Altona, Manitoba
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 cup shredded peeled tart apple
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1-3/4 cups tomato juice
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place in a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Combine the tomato juice, ketchup, celery and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meatballs. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until meat is no longer pink. Yield: 20 meatballs.
Originally published as Autumn Meatballs in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p47
Reviews for Autumn Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 9, 2014
"nice mild taste to these, lots of sauce. I used V8 juice instead of tomato juice just because that is what I had on hand. I also cut back a bit on the bread crumbs."