- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium red potato, cubed
- 1 small carrot, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup frozen corn
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Add the potato, carrot, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are almost tender.
- Stir in the milk, corn and pepper. Cook 5 minutes longer. Combine the flour and cold water until smooth; gradually whisk into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Autumn Chowder
Sort By :
"I agree with jillknit. I'm always looking for recipes for which we don't have days of left overs."
"Sorry to see brianj58 comment. There are many of us out here that have raised our families and no longer need to make large quantites. This recipe works perfectly for my husband and me. Thanks for taking the time to adapt some recipes into smaller portions."
"Sorry - I "HATE" 2 serving recipes...it's a waste of time. I want to eat! I would have to make 6 times as much to feed me and have left overs!!! :)"
"When making this soup,I doubled the recipe. I did not have bacon, so I used bacon bits ( real ) in a jar, and saute them in 1 tbl . of veg. oil. I also added chopped celery and carrots with onion and saute in bacon oil. then I added it to potatoes to boil. I also doubled water , to use less milk. instead of flour, cornstarch was handy.turned out very good !"
"Very Good; used Chicken Broth instead"