Autumn Chowder Recipe
When the weather gets chilly, we enjoy comfort foods like this hearty chowder. It's easy to prepare, and the aroma of it as it simmers makes my mouth water. —Sheena Hoffman, North Vancouver, British Columbia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min. YIELD:2 servings
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium red potato, cubed
- 1 small carrot, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup frozen corn
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Add the potato, carrot, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are almost tender.
- 2. Stir in the milk, corn and pepper. Cook 5 minutes longer. Combine the flour and cold water until smooth; gradually whisk into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 473 calories, 30 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 810 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC