Since our state is second in the country in apple production, I make many recipes using them. My family often requests this dish for Sunday dinners and Thanksgiving.
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 cups sliced unpeeled tart apples
- 3 cups sliced carrots, cooked
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- Place half the apples in a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover with half
- the carrots.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Cut
- in butter until crumbly; sprinkle half over apples and carrots.
- Repeat layers. Pour orange juice over all.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 169 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 245 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 1 g protein.