Autumn Beef Stew Recipe
- 12 small red potatoes, halved
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place potatoes, carrots and onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large skillet, brown beef in butter. Transfer beef to slow cooker with a slotted spoon.
- 2. Stir flour into the pan drippings until blended; cook and stir until browned. Gradually add water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add salt, parsley, celery seed, thyme and pepper; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 366 calories, 16 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 91 mg cholesterol, 436 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 meat, 2 starch.
Reviews for Autumn Beef Stew
"As written, this recipe didn't turn out for me. There was hardly any liquid at all at an hour before it was due to be finished. I added some vegetable broth & a small can of v8 ( because that's what I had on hand & I feared I would dilute the flavor if I just added water). It still turned out good, but I'd be hesitant to make it again & just add more water."
"We loved this hearty, delicious stew. Reminded me of my childhood - coming home to the scent of my mom's homemade stew on cold days. I agree with the post about using 2 cups of water, thanks for that tip."
"I make this recipe often when friends are coming over and I need an easy fuss-free dinner. I start it in the morning and go about my day and it's always great at dinner. Our friends love it because it is different than the tomato base recipe she uses, so even if they've recently eaten stew at their house, they don't mind eating it again at mine because it has great flavor, but is different enough from theirs. This is my "go-to" recipe for stew."
"Very good but needs more liquid. Next time I would increase water to 2 cups and I would add 2-4 Tablespoons instant potatoes to make a gravy while it cooks."
"The recipe was quite delicious. However, I wished it would have made a more gravy type sauce then it did."
"You only have to be subscribed to any one magazine to access subscriber only recipes. You don't have to be subscribed to the magazine the recipe was originally in.
"I find your site extrmeley NON-User Friendly. I'm signed into the site, but I can't print this recipe. And why is everything only on the left side of the page? It's very confusing and takes up a lot of room. If you don't want people to see some of the recipes if they aren't subscribed to the magazine, then put them in a separate place. Not many people can afford to be subscribed to more than one or maybe two of the magazines."