Autumn Beef Stew Recipe
- 12 small red potatoes, halved
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place potatoes, carrots and onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large skillet, brown beef in butter. Transfer beef to slow cooker with a slotted spoon.
- 2. Stir flour into the pan drippings until blended; cook and stir until browned. Gradually add water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add salt, parsley, celery seed, thyme and pepper; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 366 calories, 16 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 91 mg cholesterol, 436 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 meat, 2 starch.