Long ago, Johnny Appleseed passed through this part of the country. Now, nearly every hill is crowned with ancient apple trees. Cider is abundant in the fall, and my family looks forward to having it in this bean dish! —Mara Mcauley, Hinsdale, New York
Recommended: 25 Soups to Keep You Warm This Fall
- 8 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) baked beans, undrained
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a skillet, lightly fry bacon. Remove to paper towel to drain. Set aside 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute onion in the drippings until tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Autumn Beans in Country Extra September 1992, p51
Reviews for Autumn Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 21, 2012
"Holy WOW! These are like heaven in your mouth! A perfect compliment to pork. Wish I'd found this recipe in the fall. A new fav!"
Reviewed Feb. 29, 2012
"Excellent - we will never make beans any other way again!!"