Autumn Apple Cake
I think you'll agree this apple cake is simply irresistible. It's nicely crisp on top and moist and chewy inside.—Leon Kingsley, Marshfield, Massachusetts
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups diced peeled tart apples
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts, optional
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add egg and vanilla. Combine
- the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg;
- add to the creamed mixture. Stir in apples and nuts if desired.
- Spoon into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for
- 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 244 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 260 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.