- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups diced peeled tart apples
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts, optional
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to the creamed mixture. Stir in apples and nuts if desired. Spoon into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Autumn Apple Cake in Taste of Home August/September 1998, p47
Reviews for Autumn Apple Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 6, 2008
"Tasted good, but the top was hard and the bottom very sugary and like a cobbler? I was hoping for cake."