- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups diced peeled tart apples
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts, optional
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to the creamed mixture. Stir in apples and nuts if desired. Spoon into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Autumn Apple Cake in Taste of Home August/September 1998, p47
Reviews for Autumn Apple Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 6, 2008
"Tasted good, but the top was hard and the bottom very sugary and like a cobbler? I was hoping for cake."