Autumn Acorn Squash
This quick and easy dish is a meal in itself. I serve this quite often during the fall and winter months. I was born and raised on eastern Long Island and am whole-heartedly a country person.
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Cut squash in half and discard seeds; set squash aside. In a skillet
- over medium heat, cook turkey until no longer pink; drain. Add egg,
- rice,apple, cranberries, celery, salt, parsley, allspice and
- cardamom. Spoon into squash halves; place in an ungreased 13-in. x
- 9-in. baking dish. Fill dish with hot water to a depth of 1/2 in.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 20-25
- minutes longer or until the squash is tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 262 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 92 mg cholesterol, 384 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 13 g protein.