Authentic Spanish Rice Recipe
For a great side for any main dish, try this great rice dish. The bacon drippings add another layer of flavor and make the rice delectable.—Maria Goclan, Katy, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- 3/4 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 small canned tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato juice
- 2 cups hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a skillet, heat bacon drippings on medium-high. Add rice; cook and stir until rice is golden brown. Add onion and garlic; stir and cook 3 additional minutes. Add all remaining ingredients. Cook, uncovered, on medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring only once after 10 minutes. Check rice for doneness by tasting a few top grains. If rice is firm, add a little water; cover and cook 5 minutes more. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 117 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 219 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC