Authentic Spanish Rice
For a great side for any main dish, try this great rice dish. The bacon drippings add another layer of flavor and make the rice delectable.Maria Goclan, Katy, Texas
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- 3/4 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 small canned tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato juice
- 2 cups hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a skillet, heat bacon drippings on medium-high. Add rice; cook and
- stir until rice is golden brown. Add onion and garlic; stir and cook
- 3 additional minutes. Add all remaining ingredients. Cook,
- uncovered, on medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring only once after
- 10 minutes. Check rice for doneness by tasting a few top grains. If
- rice is firm, add a little water; cover and cook 5 minutes more.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 117 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 219 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.