Authentic Spanish Rice Recipe
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- 3/4 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 small canned tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato juice
- 2 cups hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a skillet, heat bacon drippings on medium-high. Add rice; cook and stir until rice is golden brown. Add onion and garlic; stir and cook 3 additional minutes. Add all remaining ingredients. Cook, uncovered, on medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring only once after 10 minutes. Check rice for doneness by tasting a few top grains. If rice is firm, add a little water; cover and cook 5 minutes more. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup: 117 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 219mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Authentic Spanish Rice
"Great dish!! I lost it the recipe for a long time and just found it on line. After making it by the "book" a few times, I started adding a chopped red or green pepper (to taste) or some sliced zucchini or yellow squash, even mushrooms. Hot sauce or peppers to taste, you can really make it your own. If too dry, add some tomato or water. Enjoy!!"
"Yummy! I know there has been some confusion about the "canned tomatoes" ingredient- I used 1/2 can of diced tomatoes, drained, and it came out great. This was really tasty rice- just what I was hoping for."
"To me it means 3 small tomatoes that came from a can or onesthat you canned yourself,diced"
"Ingredient amount is very unclear to me!!3 small canned tomatoes, dicedPlease clarify this for me. Itdoesn't make any sense to me.Thanx."