- 3 pounds medium red potatoes
- 5 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 4 tablespoons drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until tender.
- Stir in the flour, salt, celery seed and pepper until blended. Gradually add the sugar, vinegar and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Cut potatoes into 1/4-in. slices. Add potatoes and bacon to the skillet; cook and stir gently over low heat until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Authentic German Potato Salad
"There is no typo in this recipe. This is an old fashioned German Potato salad recipe. Our family loves it and still uses the same bowl my mom prepared it in. The only thing I don't add is the parsley--which is really just for looks.I've never tasted any German Potato salad that could stand up to my moms. I hope everyone enjoys as much as we have."
"I have made this twice. Delicious! And easy! I half the recipe and only used about 1/2 to 2/3 cup sugar. Loved it!"
"It just didn't taste right to me or my family. Way to sweet & tangy. Had to cook up more bacon and onions & add some baking soda to offset the vinegar. Couldn't do anything about the over sweetness. Somewhat like Oma's, but something was definitely off."
"I love German potato salad! This recipe was a little sweet for my taste and I added a TBSP. more vinegar and a tsp. of celery seed to offset the sweetness. When I make again will definitely cut down on the sugar. Loved the bacon in it!Field Editor since 2013"
"Absolutely delicious (after a few changes)!! I used 8 pounds of red potatoes, 1 1/2 pounds of bacon, 3/4 C flour, 1 C sugar, 2 C vinegar & 2 C water. I thinly sliced 6 green onions for garnish. I also omitted the celery seed."