Authentic Cajun Gumbo Recipe
- 6 quarts water
- 1 chicken (5 pounds), cut up
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 4 celery ribs, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Andouille Split Rope Sausage links, chopped
- 2 pounds sliced okra
- 2 pints shucked oysters
- 3 tablespoons gumbo file powder
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. Place the first 11 ingredients in a stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- 2. Remove chicken and allow to cool. Strain broth, discarding vegetables; skim fat. Remove meat from bones; cut chicken into bite-size pieces and set aside. Discard bones.
- 3. In the same pan, cook and stir oil and flour over medium heat until caramel-colored, about 14 minutes (do not burn). Add finely chopped onion; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil.
- 4. Carefully stir in sausage and reserved chicken. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in okra and oysters. Simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or just until okra is tender. Stir in file powder. Serve with rice. Yield: 20 servings (1-1/4 cups each).
1-1/4 cups (calculated without rice) equals 319 calories, 19 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 990 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.