- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- Cream cheese, softened, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, molasses, brown sugar and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in walnuts and raisins. Transfer to a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan; cover with foil.
- Place pan on a rack in a boiling-water canner or other large, deep pot; add 1 in. of hot water to pot. Bring to a gentle boil; cover and steam for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, adding more water to the pot as needed.
- Remove pan from the pot; let stand for 10 minutes before removing bread from pan to a wire rack. Serve with cream cheese if desired. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Reviews forAuthentic Boston Brown Bread
"it was more like a loaf to me but it was fantastic to have with homemade beansmy guests loved it!"
"Very good and very hearty."
"Thank you for this. I do not have the proper sized cans to make this like I used to and never thought of steaming it in a loaf pan. I love this with some authentic baked beans."
"Alittle gritty from the corn mealpretty tasty"
"i didn't have a rack so I laid some forks in the bottom of the pot and sat my cans on them, worked great."
"I put two loaf pans on the rack in my turkey roaster..worked great."
"Pack1966-remove both ends from green chile cans, water chestnut cans, etc. (couple inches deep and both top and bottom can be removed w. can opener) or buy (and wash!) 6-8 nuts (as in nuts and bolts) @ the hardware store that are about 1/4" thick to place the bread pan on."
"For those looking for a recipe w/o rye and can be baked in the oven:Boston Brown breadtraditionally served with hotdogs and beans½ cup Flour1½ tsp Salt½ cup Corn Meal¾ cup Dark molasses2 cup Milk¾ cup Sugar1½ tsp baking soda3 cup Whole wheat flour1 Egg½ cup Melted shortening½ cup Raisins (optional)Sift flour, baking soda, sugar, and salt together. Mix in corn meal and whole wheat flour. Add remaining ingredients, mixing only until all flour is moistened. Pour into 2 greased 9 x 5 x 3" loaf pans. bake at 300° for an hour and 15 minutes. Remove from pans and cool."
"Does anyone have a suggestion for this without the buttermilk? We're dairy-free but would love to try this."