- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- Cream cheese, softened, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, molasses, brown sugar and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in walnuts and raisins. Transfer to a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan; cover with foil.
- Place pan on a rack in a boiling-water canner or other large, deep pot; add 1 in. of hot water to kettle. Bring to a gentle boil; cover and steam for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, adding more water to the kettle as needed.
- Remove pan from the kettle; let stand for 10 minutes before removing bread from pan to a wire rack. Serve with cream cheese if desired. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Reviews for Authentic Boston Brown Bread(12)
Sort By :
Very good and very hearty.
Thank you for this. I do not have the proper sized cans to make this like I used to and never thought of steaming it in a loaf pan. I love this with some authentic baked beans.
Alittle gritty from the corn meal
I love this bread for breakfast, and it's so healthy too. I'm happy when a recipie gets me to try something new and I end up liking it. But . . . my hubby and kids won't touch the stuff. All the more for me! Ha-ha!
i didn't have a rack so I laid some forks in the bottom of the pot and sat my cans on them, worked great.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bread Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Vegetarian Recipes >
- Quick Bread Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Vegetarian Recipes >
- Vegetarian Bread Recipes >