Austrian Hazelnut Torte Recipe
This unusual but delicious flourless torte has a distinctive nutty flavor with a hint of orange. Its luscious cream filling and topping is accented with citrus.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling YIELD:10-12 servings
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Additional hazelnuts, halved, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until light lemon-colored. Stir in the chopped hazelnuts, bread crumbs and orange juice.
- 2. In another bowl, beat egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form; fold into hazelnut mixture.
- 3. Spoon into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 4. Cut cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with half of the whipped cream. Top with remaining layer and whipped cream. Garnish with halved hazelnuts if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 258 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 134 mg cholesterol, 122 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC