Austrian Chocolate Balls Recipe
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 1. In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, egg, yolk, extract and chocolate mixture. Gradually add flour and mix well. Stir in nuts. Shape into 3/4-in. balls and place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Cool.
- 3. For glaze, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Add the extract, sugar and milk and mix well.
- 4. Dip tops of cookies into glaze; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Store in airtight containers. Yield: 2-3 dozen.
Variations: If desired, vanilla can be substituted for the almond extract. The chopped almonds can be omitted. To get rounder cookies, increase flour by 1/4 to 1/2 cup.
1 each: 96 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 23mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Austrian Chocolate Balls
"These were fantastic. easy to make and they went over very well at a formal party. This is a keeper."