I love to prepare these candies for family gatherings, to share at work or when I have a craving for chocolate! They're not too sweet and the glaze makes them pretty.
Featured In: Travel Around the World in 80 Meals
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, egg, yolk, extract and chocolate mixture. Gradually add flour and mix well. Stir in nuts. Shape into 3/4-in. balls and place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Cool.
- For glaze, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Add the extract, sugar and milk and mix well.
- Dip tops of cookies into glaze; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Store in airtight containers. Yield: 2-3 dozen.
Originally published as Austrian Chocolate Balls in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate 1994, p23
Reviews for Austrian Chocolate Balls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 21, 2014
"These were fantastic. Easy to make and they went over very well at a formal party. This is a keeper."
Reviewed Dec. 22, 2013