This recipe has been one of my favorites for years. I like to make these sweet treats for special occasions because everyone enjoys them.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Finely chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast and flour; add butter and mix well. Add egg yolks and sour cream; mix well. Shape into four balls. Place in separate resealable plastic bags or wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.
- Combine sugar, pecans and cinnamon; set aside. On a floured surface, roll each ball of dough into a 9-in. circle. Sprinkle with sugar mixture and apple. Cut each circle into 16 wedges; roll up from wide edge and pinch to seal. Place with point side down on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 16-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately remove to wire racks to cool. For icing, combine sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth; drizzle over the twists. Sprinkle with pecans. Yield: 64 twists.
Originally published as Austrian Apple Twists in Country April/May 1998, p49
Reviews for Austrian Apple Twists
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review