"THIS IS my favorite of Auntie Ann's dishes, and one that I enjoy making, too! Only difference is, my aunt likes to serve it cold, as relish, and I prefer to serve it warm. On a piece of garlic toast, it makes a wonderful appetizer!"
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 green or sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup pitted ripe olives, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional
- Few drops hot pepper sauce
- In a Dutch oven, combine the vegetables, olives, garlic, tomato sauce, water, oregano and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the ketchup, vinegar, sugar if desired and hot pepper sauce. Cook, uncovered, about 5 minutes longer or until slightly thickened. Cool. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Yield: 10-12 servings (about 6 cups).
Originally published as Auntie Ann's Eggplant Relish in Reminisce Extra October 1993, p47
Reviews for Auntie Ann's Eggplant Relish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review