- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 green or sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup pitted ripe olives, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional
- Few drops hot pepper sauce
- In a Dutch oven, combine the vegetables, olives, garlic, tomato sauce, water, oregano and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the ketchup, vinegar, sugar if desired and hot pepper sauce. Cook, uncovered, about 5 minutes longer or until slightly thickened. Cool. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Yield: 10-12 servings (about 6 cups).
Originally published as Auntie Ann's Eggplant Relish in Reminisce Extra October 1993, p47
Reviews for Auntie Ann's Eggplant Relish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 5, 2010
"I find this rather addictive! It's so tasty. I'm including it in the forthcoming Super Bowl spread. The guys always enjoy it."