Aunt Ruth's Famous Butterscotch Cheesecake Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup cold 2% milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Whipped cream and crushed butterscotch candies, optional
- 1. Place a greased 9-in. springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Securely wrap foil around pan. In a small bowl, combine cracker crumbs and sugar; stir in butter. Press onto the bottom of prepared pan. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 325° for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk the milks and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in pudding and vanilla. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Pour over crust. Place springform pan in a large baking pan; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan.
- 4. Bake at 325° for 65-75 minutes or until center is almost set and top appears dull. Remove springform pan from water bath. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- 5. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight. Garnish with whipped cream and butterscotch candies if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 473 calories, 30g fat (18g saturated fat), 141mg cholesterol, 460mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 0 fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Aunt Ruth's Famous Butterscotch Cheesecake
"This cheesecake was one of the best I've ever made. I thought some water got into it, but it didn't affect it at all. So smooth and creamy! It didn't last long in this house!"
"I've made this 4 times now, 3 times as it is and once as a oreo cheesecake (same recipe but vanilla instant pudding instead of butterscotch and a oreo base)All four times it was amazing and others loved it too. One of the times I made it water got through the tinfoil and it didnt set all the way through but it was still really yummy."
"Folks at work and home seemed to think this was the best cheesecake I had ever made. The recipe was awesome!The butterscotch and cream cheese flavors balanced each other very well, with neither being too powerful. I also often have trouble with crusts being too tough, but this crust was perfect.Served with a choice of Cool Whip or Reddi-wip."
"This cheesecake was terrible... I've been making cheesecakes for over 30 years and never had one flop... This one didn't set up properly, but thought we could eat it anyway... the taste was even bad.. will not make again..."
"I have some real butterscotch fans in my family, so this was definitely a recipe that caught my eye. It was not hard to make, and it tasted great. I can see lots of fun and likely tasty variations from changing out the flavor of the pudding mix used."
"cheesecake make the day and this one tops the list as yummy the only hard thing about this recipe is the wait while it chills over night."
"This cheesecake helped make me famous among my coworkers and my family. It is the MOST FANTASTIC recipe and it is simple, as well. A double winner in my book! :)"
"Never made a cheesecake with sweetened condensed milk or had to put the pan in a water bath so it was a 1st. I made 2 to freeze for the holidays and they turned out great. The only thing I noticed is that the crust crumbled very easy compared to other cheesecakes I've made. Maybe just needs a bit more butter or something. I doubled up on the foil just to be safe water would not leak in and it was great."
"Absolutely delicious! First cheesecake I ever made (decided to try this b/c we had most of the ingredients already), and it turned out fantastic!!I used a 9" glass pan with the temp at 300 for an hour, then boosted the temp to 325 for 15 additional minutes.I wasn't sure whether to leave the foil wrapped around the pan during the baking of the filling... O.o Probably a dumb question, but oh well...(I left it on)."
"Made this for Father's Day. It was a hit! I will definitely be making it again."
"the cheesecake did not setup, turned out like pudding"
"I made this for our neighbors a couple months ago and they raved about it, we sampled it yesterday and it was delicious!"
"Absolutely delicious! I didn't change a thing- cooked for 65 minutes and voile! Out popped an immaculate butterscotch cheesecake. I decorated it with chocolate chips and butterscotch drizzle. I WILL make this again."
"A friend of mine and I made this cheesecake so good, would make again, and soon."
"Friends have rated it one of my top two cheesecakes"
"I took this to a potluck. Every one loved it!!Was not hard to make at all. Will make again many times. Karen."
"Awesome recipe. I made this last week when friends were coming over for dessert and everyone loved it - even those who were initially skeptical. I highly recommend this one."
"This is a very tasty cheesecake. A close 2nd to the butterscotch pie we make."