Aunt Rose's Fantastic Butter Toffee
I don't live in the country, but I love everything about it—especially good old-fashioned home cooking! Every year, you'll find me at our County Fair, entering a different recipe contest. I find new recipes everywhere—especially in my large cookbook collection. This toffee, however, comes from the "heart". It's been a favorite in my family since I was a little girl!
32 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups whole unblanched almonds (about 10 ounces), divided
- 11 ounces milk chocolate, divided
- 2 sticks sweet butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Spread almonds in a pan and toast in 350° oven for about 10
- minutes, shaking pan occasionally. Cool nuts. Grind milk chocolate
- fine in food processor- do not over process. Set aside.
- Chop nuts coarse in food processor. Sprinkle 1 cup nuts over bottom
- of greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. jelly roll pan. Sprinkle 1 cup
- ground chocolate over nuts. Set aside.
- In heavy saucepan, combine butter, sugar and water; cook over medium
- heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reaches 290°
- (soft-crack stage).
- Very quickly pour mixture over nuts and chocolate. Sprinkle remaining
- chocolate over toffee; top with remaining nuts. Chill and break into
- pieces. Yield: about 2 lbs.