Aunt Rose's Fantastic Butter Toffee Recipe
- 2 cups unblanched whole almonds
- 11 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a shallow baking pan, toast almonds until golden brown, 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool. Pulse chocolate in a food processor until finely ground (do not overprocess); transfer to a bowl. Pulse almonds in food processor until coarsely chopped. Sprinkle 1 cup almonds over bottom of a greased 15x10-in. pan. Sprinkle with 1 cup chocolate.
- 2. In a heavy saucepan, combine butter, sugar and water. Cook over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 290° (soft-crack stage), stirring occasionally.
- 3. Immediately pour mixture over almonds and chocolate in pan. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate and almonds. Refrigerate until set; break into pieces. Yield: about 2 lbs.
Reviews for Aunt Rose's Fantastic Butter Toffee
"Wonderful recipe, but I was wondering if it could be made with other nuts like pecan, walnuts, macadamia, etc.Looks beautiful in that jar, and a perfect recipe for the Holidays.Thanks to all who respond!"
"I make this by the batches at Christmas time and give it as gifts. Everyone asks for the recipe. It is by far the best candy I have ever made!"
"This is the best! I have given it for gifts several times and always have rave reviews. It is very easy to make. I like to make it in a 9x13 pan for a little thicker toffee, but that is just my personal preference. Thank you Aunt Rose wherever you are."
"This is wonderful. I had a little problem with trying to get it to cover the pan...guess it is not enough to cover but still wonderful."
"This toffee is not only wonderful to eat, it isn't even difficult to make. I have taken to the state fair in Nebraska several times and never failed to come home with a ribbon!"