Aunt Rose's Fantastic Butter Toffee Recipe
I don't live in the country, but I love everything about it—especially good old-fashioned home cooking! Every year, you'll find me at our County Fair, entering a different recipe contest. I find new recipes everywhere—especially in my large cookbook collection. This toffee, however, comes from the "heart". It's been a favorite in my family since I was a little girl!
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:32 servings
- 2 cups whole unblanched almonds (about 10 ounces), divided
- 11 ounces milk chocolate, divided
- 2 sticks sweet butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1. Spread almonds in a pan and toast in 350° oven for about 10 minutes, shaking pan occasionally. Cool nuts. Grind milk chocolate fine in food processor- do not over process. Set aside.
- 2. Chop nuts coarse in food processor. Sprinkle 1 cup nuts over bottom of greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. jelly roll pan. Sprinkle 1 cup ground chocolate over nuts. Set aside.
- 3. In heavy saucepan, combine butter, sugar and water; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reaches 290° (soft-crack stage).
- 4. Very quickly pour mixture over nuts and chocolate. Sprinkle remaining chocolate over toffee; top with remaining nuts. Chill and break into pieces. Yield: about 2 lbs.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC