Aunt Murna's Jam Cake Recipe
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 jar (12 ounces) blackberry jam or 1 cup homemade blackberry jam
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- CARAMEL ICING:
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1. Soak raisins in pineapple and juice several hours or overnight.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add jam and buttermilk; beat until well blended. Sift together dry ingredients; add to batter. Beat on low just until combined. Stir in the raisins, pineapple and pecans.
- 3. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks.
- 4. For icing, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and milk; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Cool just until warm; beat in enough confectioners' sugar until icing achieves spreading consistency. Add more sugar for thicker icing; more milk to thin it. Frost cooled cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 slice: 694 calories, 30g fat (15g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 353mg sodium, 105g carbohydrate (83g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Aunt Murna's Jam Cake
"Next time I would not include the cocoa powder. Does not taste like jam cake with cocoa added."
"Could you use another flavor jam? Guess I'm wondering how much you actually taste the blackberry?"
"Skip the raisins and this cake is awesome!"
"This sounds delicious. My mother always made a jam cake for the holidays, but hers were made in a tube pan and did not have frosting. Would it be possible to bake this cake in a tube pan and omit the frosting?"
"This sounds wonderful, I think this cake will be a huge hit at Christmas!"