Aunt Murna's Jam Cake Recipe
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 jar (12 ounces) blackberry jam or 1 cup homemade blackberry jam
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- CARAMEL ICING:
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- Soak raisins in pineapple and juice several hours or overnight.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add jam and buttermilk; beat until well blended. Sift together dry ingredients; add to batter. Beat on low just until combined. Stir in the raisins, pineapple and pecans.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks.
- For icing, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and milk; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Cool just until warm; beat in enough confectioners' sugar until icing achieves spreading consistency. Add more sugar for thicker icing; more milk to thin it. Frost cooled cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Aunt Murna's Jam Cake(3)
Sort By :
Skip the raisins and this cake is awesome!
This sounds delicious. My mother always made a jam cake for the holidays, but hers were made in a tube pan and did not have frosting. Would it be possible to bake this cake in a tube pan and omit the frosting?
This sounds wonderful, I think this cake will be a huge hit at Christmas!