- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 can (6 ounces) pitted ripe olives, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer; drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 40-50 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Discard bay leaf from meat sauce. Stir in olives.
- Spread a fourth of the sauce in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with three noodles and a third of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, sauce and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Aunt May's Lasagna
Sort By :
"This is my lasagna recipe also, but last year I added the ricotta for the first time and my family loved it! So now I add that along with the two other chesses! Great recipe! We always have lasagna for Xmas dinner with green bean casserole and all the other goodies!"
"I use Oven Ready Lasagna Noodles and Cottage Cheese, also use some shredded Parmesan Cheese with the Mozza cheese."
"Although I love traditional lasagna with the ricotta, my husband does not. This was a delicious and simple recipe (didn't do the olives) that had my husband taking a second helping. Will definitely make again and might try with Italian sausage."
"I've made a couple of different lasagnas. This was amazing. Simple & delicious. Everyone was looking forward to leftovers the next day. Only thing I changed is I added a cup of water to the sauce, like some other stated the sauce was too thick for my liking. I also added sugar & tons of garlic to mine."
"very nice recipe , easy to make with a wonderful flavor."