- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 can (6 ounces) pitted ripe olives, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-50 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Discard bay leaf from meat sauce. Stir in olives.
- Spread a fourth of the sauce in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with three noodles and a third of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, sauce and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now
Reviews for Aunt May's Lasagna
Sort By :
This is my lasagna recipe also, but last year I added the ricotta for the first time and my family loved it! So now I add that along with the two other chesses! Great recipe! We always have lasagna for Xmas dinner with green bean casserole and all the other goodies!
I use Oven Ready Lasagna Noodles and Cottage Cheese, also use some shredded Parmesan Cheese with the Mozza cheese.
Although I love traditional lasagna with the ricotta, my husband does not. This was a delicious and simple recipe (didn't do the olives) that had my husband taking a second helping. Will definitely make again and might try with Italian sausage.
I've made a couple of different lasagnas. This was amazing. Simple & delicious. Everyone was looking forward to leftovers the next day. Only thing I changed is I added a cup of water to the sauce, like some other stated the sauce was too thick for my liking. I also added sugar & tons of garlic to mine.
very nice recipe , easy to make with a wonderful flavor.