- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 can (6 ounces) pitted ripe olives, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-50 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Discard bay leaf from meat sauce. Stir in olives.
- Spread a fourth of the sauce in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with three noodles and a third of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, sauce and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Aunt May's Lasagna(18)
Sort By :
I use Oven Ready Lasagna Noodles and Cottage Cheese, also use some shredded Parmesan Cheese with the Mozza cheese.
Although I love traditional lasagna with the ricotta, my husband does not. This was a delicious and simple recipe (didn't do the olives) that had my husband taking a second helping. Will definitely make again and might try with Italian sausage.
I've made a couple of different lasagnas. This was amazing. Simple & delicious. Everyone was looking forward to leftovers the next day. Only thing I changed is I added a cup of water to the sauce, like some other stated the sauce was too thick for my liking. I also added sugar & tons of garlic to mine.
very nice recipe , easy to make with a wonderful flavor.
My husband doesn't care for lasagna recipes that use ricotta cheese. I found this one and since no one likes olives, I omitted them. At times I will use mushrooms instead. I've also made using whole wheat noodles and ground turkey and my family loves it! We make this recipe often!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Pasta >
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Dinner Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Lasagna Recipes >
- Ground Beef Pasta Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Hamburger Casserole >
- Italian Casseroles >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >