Aunt May's Lasagna Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 can (6 ounces) pitted ripe olives, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer; drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 40-50 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Discard bay leaf from meat sauce. Stir in olives.
- 3. Spread a fourth of the sauce in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with three noodles and a third of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, sauce and cheese.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 249 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 412 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.