- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups chopped peeled apples (about 3 medium)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt and baking powder; gradually beat into oil mixture. Stir in apples. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Aunt Lou's Fresh Apple Cake
"My aunt in FL and my mother-in-law in WV shared this recipe with our family with some slight variations, adding 1-2 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped, 1/4 cup milk, 1/2 Tbsp apple pie spice, 2-4 tsp. cinnamon, and 1 tsp. baking soda, not baking powder. We used a glaze using 1 stick butter, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla and 1/4 can canned cream or milk. We also tried another glaze with the confectionary sugar instead of the brown sugar. Both are delicious. Suggested fresh apples are Granny Smith or Golden Delicious. I have also seen this recipe paired with a Cream Cheese Frosting using 1/2 cup butter, softened, 1 box confectioner's sugar, 1 8-oz package cream cheese, softened, and 1 tsp. vanilla extract."
"Fantastic cake! csadoff... you must have went wrong somewhere... turned out perfectly for me... ;-)"
"Amazing!! ..not a waste at all..not sure what that was about, all I can say is..it was gone in a flash!! Great Job Cristy and hats off to your great-aunt Lou <3"
"I was so looking forward to having a slice of this cake. With a winter storm going on outside I made this cake. First of all I noticed the batter was very thick. Much to my disappointment the cake was awful. And to think of all the ingredients I wasted. Don't waste your time."
"This was so good and easy, I made 2 cakes in one week."
"Simple & tastes amazing!!"
"Delicious, easy to make cake with simple ingredients."