Aunt Lillian's Crumb Cake Recipe
My Aunt Lillian made her fabulous crumb cake every weekend when we came to visit. She created this recipe back in the '40s. Knowing my father loved it, she shared the recipe with my mother, who passed it on to me. I serve it as a coffee cake for Sunday brunch or for dessert. —Rose Gearheard, Phoenix, Oregon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons flaked coconut
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in
- 2. sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Spread half into a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- 3. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle half over batter. Carefully spread remaining batter on top; sprinkle with remaining topping. Gently swirl topping through batter with a knife.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack.
- 5. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 394 calories, 18 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 92 mg cholesterol, 340 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC