Aunt Jane's Beef Stew
The aroma of this classic beef stew is irresistible, making it impossible not to dig in the moment you walk in the door.—Rosana Pape, Hamilton, Indiana
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 pounds fresh baby carrots
- 6 medium parsnips, chopped
- 4 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 2 cups drained diced tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, combine all the ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are
- tender. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Serve immediately or cool and freeze in a freezer container for up to 3 months.
To use frozen stew: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a saucepan; add water to thin if necessary. Cover and cook over medium heat until hot and bubbly, stirring occasionally.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.