Aunt Ione's Icebox Cookies Recipe
Whenever we went to visit my Aunt Ione in south Georgia, her icebox cookies were our favorite treat. My mother later make these cookies, and I remember begging for a slice of the raw dough—I thought the unbaked cookies tasted just as great as the baked! —Jenny Hill, Meridianville, Alabama
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups chopped nuts
- 1. Sift together first five ingredients; set aside. In a bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add eggs, vanilla and lemon extract; beat well. Add dry ingredients; mix well. Stir in nuts.
- 2. Divide dough into four parts and shape into 1-1/2-in. x 11-in. rolls. Wrap in foil and chill overnight. Slice cookies 3/8 in. thick.
- 3. Bake on greased baking sheets at 350° for about 10 minutes. Yield: About 17 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 92 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 57 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC