- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups chopped nuts
- Sift together first five ingredients; set aside. In a bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add eggs, vanilla and lemon extract; beat well. Add dry ingredients; mix well. Stir in nuts.
- Divide dough into four parts and shape into 1-1/2-in. x 11-in. rolls. Wrap in foil and chill overnight. Slice cookies 3/8 in. thick.
- Bake on greased baking sheets at 350° for about 10 minutes. Yield: About 17 dozen.
Originally published as Aunt Ione's Icebox Cookies in Reminisce May/June 1993, p51
Reviews for Aunt Ione's Icebox Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 16, 2015
"Love these! I made mine larger than what the recipe calls for, but they are heavenly with coffee."
Reviewed Dec. 4, 2011
"I used mini chocolate chips. wonderful !"