THIS RECIPE belonged to my husband’s great aunt and we think she clipped it from a newspaper. The unusual casserole quickly became a family favorite, often requested at reunions, birthday or holiday dinners. Even though the recipe was shared with many, nobody could quite duplicate Aunt Hazel’s most popular dish.
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking grits
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 2/3 cup corn chips, crushed
- In a small saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the cheese, butter, egg substitute, garlic powder and pepper sauce.
- Pour into a small greased baking dish. Sprinkle with corn chips. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Grits Casserole in Reminisce Extra January 2008, p52
Reviews for Aunt Hazel's Grits Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review