- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine oats and orange juice; let stand for 5 minutes. Beat in the egg, oil and sugar until blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; stir into oat mixture just until moistened. Fold in blueberries.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: about 1 dozen.
Reviews for Aunt Betty's Blueberry Muffins
"I made them last night. I used orange zest with the fresh orange juice. Although the orange flavor was light, the muffins were very moist and very good. I will make them again."
"These were great! Family loved them! The oatmeal and orange juice adds a nice touch. I did add an extra cup of blueberries since I had so many. Very moist muffins and simple to make. Wonderful breakfast treat - and don't forget the sugar cinnamon topping! I baked them at 375 degrees for 25 minutes and they were perfect. Thanks, Aunt Betty!"
"Absolutely love this recipe!!! I have made this dozens of times as written and then decided to vary the fruit and juice..... tried lemonade with fresh lemon zest and added raspberries. Another hit!! Thanks for sharing!!!!"
"Excellent. Not a big blueberry fan but I loved these. So did my family. I especially like the oatmeal and the Orange juice. Really made the difference."
"My new favorite. Everyone loved these moist and tender muffins and asked for more. It?s a keeper."
"very good. also used 3/4 c. sugar."
"I like to double or triple this recipe when blueberries are in season and then freeze the muffins. They are not overly sweet but taste wonderful."
"did them just liek the recipe says and they were awesome ! A true muffin, crisp on the outside;moist, but light inside, not overly sweet. If you are looking for, cake in a cup, this is not your recipe. If you love a light muffin you will be pleased."
"These were delicious, easy to make and a hit with my family. Would definitely make them again."
"I'm always looking for a good homemade blueberry muffin recipe and I found it today! These are awesome! I am planning to take these on our next camping trip to share with my family! Great recipe, the orange juice adds a unique taste to them and the oatmeal keeps them moist, but not heavy or dry. Will definately make these again!"