My father's favorite food was turnips–either cooked or raw. This dish always reminds me of his many second helpings of turnips at the dinner table.
- 3 pounds medium turnips (about 6), peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 green onions, chopped, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place turnips in a 6-qt. stockpot; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, 12-15 minutes or until tender. Drain and return to pan.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add half of the green onions. Cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually whisk in cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese until melted.
- Pour sauce over turnips; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Top with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with remaining onions. Yield: 12 servings (2/3 cup each).
Originally published as Au Gratin Turnips in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2016, p31
Reviews for Au Gratin Turnips
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review