Au Gratin Potatoes with Squash Recipe
After volunteering to take a potato casserole to a friend's party, I thought I'd do a twist on au gratin by adding squash. Everyone just loved it.—Patricia Harmon, Baden, Pennsylvania
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 7 medium potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and sliced
- 4 cups sliced peeled butternut squash (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh chives
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg until smooth; gradually whisk in milk and water. Stir in potatoes, squash and chives. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until potatoes and squash are almost tender.
- 2. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of the potato mixture and 1 cup cheese. Repeat layers.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and potatoes are tender. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 10 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup equals 267 calories, 13 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 377 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC