- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 7 medium potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and sliced
- 4 cups sliced peeled butternut squash (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh chives
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg until smooth; gradually whisk in milk and water. Stir in potatoes, squash and chives. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until potatoes and squash are almost tender.
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of the potato mixture and 1 cup cheese. Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and potatoes are tender. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 10 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews for Au Gratin Potatoes with Squash
"I love this side dish...I did cheat and use frozen hash brown potatoes and frozen butternut squash.....just saying...still delicious!"
"This recipe looked so good. I tried it, and my family gave it a thumbs down. Doubt I would attempt a second try at it, but the blend of potatoes and squash in this recipe is not a good one. Maybe cut back the butternut squash portion."
"Easy to make and family loved them"
"A great potluck dish. I didn't use a strong enough cheese to enhance the flavor as I did not have shredded Swiss on hand. A sharp cheddar would be good as well."