Au Gratin Potatoes and Ham
With hearty chunks of ham and red potato in a creamy cheese sauce, this dish appeals to all at any gathering.Evie Pond, Ipswich, South Dakota
80 ServingsPrep: 45 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 20 pounds red potatoes
- 8 pounds fully cooked ham, cubed
- 4 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups milk
- 6 pounds process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Place potatoes in several stockpots and cover with water. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Peel if desired and cut into cubes. Place about 6 cups of potatoes in
- each of eight greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Add about 3-1/2
- cups of cubed ham to each dish.
- In a the same kettles, combine the soup, flour and milk until smooth.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add
- the cheese, pepper and paprika. Reduce heat and cook until the
- cheese is melted.
- Pour about 2-1/4 cups of sauce into each pan. Cover and bake at
- 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer or
- until bubbly. Yield: 8 casseroles (10 servings each).