Au Gratin Potato Recipe
A friend gave me this recipe when I needed a potato dish for a potluck. That was many years ago, but I still get compliments whenever someone tries it for the first time.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour YIELD:12-15 servings
- 12 medium red or white potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 30-40 minutes or until tender. Drain and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- 2. Peel potatoes and coarsely shred. Combine the salt, pepper and garlic salt. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer potatoes and salt mixture. Sprinkle with cheese; pour cream over all. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until golden. Yield: 12-15 servings.
One serving (1/2 cup) equals 174 calories, 10 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 320 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC