- 2 cups mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Stir in cheese.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into oil; press lightly to flatten. Cook in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown, using remaining oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 8 potato pancakes.
Reviews for Au Gratin Potato Pancakes
"1st pot pancakes that came out well for me."
"Tastes GREAT! But mine fell apart. I might try again with a second egg and a little flour added. Maybe a little less salt as well, they were a tiny bit too salty for us."
"these were really good, a nice change from hash browns!"
"Don't flip until you are certain they have browned or else they become a mess but they taste great!"
"Loved this recipe! Sure beats the shredded kind by far! YUM!"
"My family really enjoyed this recipe. I have to confess that I had trouble frying them, but I think it was due to my inferior frying pan. I actually ended up throwing the potato mixture into a glass dish and baking it."