Au Gratin Peas and Potatoes Recipe
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups sliced peeled cooked potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until tender.
- 2. Layer with potatoes, salt, peas, 1 cup of cheese and bacon. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- 3. Combine mayonnaise and milk until smooth; pour over bacon. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
1/2 cup: 679 calories, 44g fat (17g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 1038mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 7g fiber), 23g protein
Reviews for Au Gratin Peas and Potatoes
"Bacon drippings are what really gives this recipe it's flavor, so don't omit!"
"tasty, except I was confused with the last step. So I ended up simmering the pot a little longer until the gravy mixture bubbles."