Au Gratin Hash Browns
Family gatherings wouldn't be the same without this dish. It has been a family favorite since my mother first found it. Now our son, a cheese lover, makes the side dish for nearly every family function. We love its rich taste.Kathy Brandenburg, Elkhorn, Wisconsin
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup butter, melted, divided
- 2 cups cornflakes, lightly crushed
- In a large bowl, combine the hash browns, cheese, onion, salt and
- pepper. In another bowl, combine the sour cream, soup and 1/4 cup
- butter. Pour over potato mixture and mix gently to combine. Transfer
- to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Toss cornflakes and remaining
- butter; sprinkle over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for
- 45-55 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 324 calories, 23 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 681 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.