Family gatherings wouldn't be the same without this dish. It has been a family favorite since my mother first found it. Now our son, a cheese lover, makes the side dish for nearly every family function. We love its rich taste.—Kathy Brandenburg, Elkhorn, Wisconsin
Recommended: 62 Christmas Potluck Sides for 12 or More
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup butter, melted, divided
- 2 cups cornflakes, lightly crushed
- In a large bowl, combine the hash browns, cheese, onion, salt and pepper. In another bowl, combine the sour cream, soup and 1/4 cup butter. Pour over potato mixture and mix gently to combine. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Toss cornflakes and remaining butter; sprinkle over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Au Gratin Hash Browns in Light & Tasty October/November 2003, p20
Reviews for Au Gratin Hash Browns
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 14, 2015
"I followed the recipe except for the cornflakes and felt they were a little dry. The taste was very good. If I make them again I'd mix a little milk with the soup."
Reviewed Sep. 5, 2010
"Everyone loves these!"